The global release date for the most keenly-anticipated Total War game yet will be September 3rd, 2013. This is a universal release date across all territories and applies to both the physical and digital copies of the game. The game is now available for pre-order from the SEGA Store, Steam and other retailers world-wide.
In addition to the release date, SEGA have also revealed the pre-order bonus for Total War: ROME II. Gamers who pre-order any edition from participating retailers will receive ROME II’s first DLC for free alongside the game on release day. This first DLC, the Greek States Culture Pack, adds three additional playable factions to the game; Epirus, Athens and Sparta. These factions have their own unique units, buildings, missions and win conditions alongside a distinct tech tree and, in the case of Sparta, will present a considerable challenge to the advanced player wishing to restore the famous city state to its former glory. Check out this pre-order trailer to see what you’ll be getting your hands on:
But wait, there’s more, as details of the Total War: ROME II Collector’s Edition have also been revealed. These Collector’s Editions will be produced in a single, extremely limited run; only 22,000 individually numbered copies will be manufactured. The CE contains a wealth of custom, Roman-themed games and items, bound in a leather-effect presentation box, complete with gold logo and magnetic closure; including:
- Numbered copy of Total War: ROME II: The most ambitious and expansive game in the Total War series to date, ROME II brings the statecraft, politics, intrigue, diplomacy and epic battles of the ancient world to life in thrilling detail. This version comes in a debossed Steelbook case, laser-etched with your unique collector’s number in Roman numerals.
- Tabula set: The Roman forerunner to Backgammon, this Tabula set comprises 30 bone-effect game pieces supplied in their own burlap drawstring bag; the board itself is built into the base of the Collector’s Edition box.
- Tesserae Dice: Three replica bone-effect dice for use in a variety of games. The design is based on original Roman Tesserae, found at the archaeological site of Herculaneum.
- Total War Cards: PUNIC WARS: Designed from the ground up to echo elements from ROME II, Total War Cards is a game of skill and luck for two players. Involving combat, territorial control, resource management and technological development, PUNIC WARS consists of 58 high-quality playing cards and a game-board printed with the PUNIC WARS tech-tree.
- Canvas Campaign Map: A reminder of the world you must conquer, this ribbon-tied canvas map depicts each of the 57 provinces of the ROME II campaign.
- Roman Onager : A complete, fully-functional Onager, or Roman siege catapult. This easy-to-assemble kit is constructed from weathered wood and steel, measures 26cm x 12cm x 12cm, and is capable of unleashing small projectiles at a variety of inanimate objects which may have affronted the glory of your empire.
Now we don’t know about you guys, but we’d be a lot more willing to part with our cash for a special edition if it came with working siege weaponry. Seriously the other stuff is very cool, but a functional mini-catapult is the coolest thing we’ve ever seen stuffed into a Collector’s Edition. Anyway there we have it, if you want to know more about Total War: ROME II then head over to the game’s website.
Will you be picking up Total War: ROME II? Will you be getting the special edition, if only to have a tiny siege weapon at your disposal? Let us know in the comments below.